Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Why Join?

I am often bombarded with the question as to why I am choosing to serve in the military, especially with current President. People often say I am very brave, or I am very stupid, or I just don't know what the hell I am getting myself into. The truest of the three would have to be the last; I do not know exactly what I am getting myself into.

Ever since I can remember I have wanted to be in the military. It has fascinated me. As a child I set myself to find out everything I could about the military and all it encompasses. The avid little reader I was, this turned out to be no problem. Books soon became replaced by video games. Medal of Honor was the penultimate immersion into what war truly is for an 11 year old (Or so I thought). I fought my way up the beaches of Normandy, through the frozen wasteland of Belgium, all the way up to Berlin. For years I did this over and over, the terrain changing every so often. I reached a point of maturity where I realized that this was not in the least realistic, and war was hell. War is not something to be desired. No one wants to have to kill another man, not for the pure sake of killing. No, I reached the point where I understood why men fought wars, as much as I could understand. Men fight wars because they realize that someone has to protect the freedoms we Americans have. They are defending what they love. It hit me why the Marine Corps' slogan is "The Few. The Proud. The Marines." Not only is the attrition rate extremely high, but there are not many who hear the special calling that those who have joined the military hear. I join because I will fight to defend the freedoms our founding fathers fought for. I joined because I feel that there is hope for America, and that the freedoms we enjoy even under our President are far greater than any other country in the world.

That is why I am joining the military. Does it make any sense? Probably not. It probably seems like a jumbled mess of my thoughts. Well I am joining the military because it is the right thing for me to do. I believe our current President has not reached a point of me not being able to serve under him. There is still hope for America, It is not a lost cause yet. For those who have served are will serve or are currently serving, I thank you. Thank you for hearing the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment