Saturday, May 1, 2010

Moon



Wow. Upon failure to fall asleep, I decided that watching a movie would be in order. Thus, I propped the good ol' macbook on my lap as I lay in bed, and browsed through Netflix for the next two hour's entertainment. I came upon Moon, which I remember seeing the preview for and decided that it looked intriguing enough to watch.
Sam Rockwell is brilliant in his role as Sam Bell, astronaut. Same bell works on the moon alongside robot GERTY, his only company. He sends back a mined substance to Earth which is the new alternative energy. He fuels Earth. He is on a 3 year contract, which in two weeks, will be up. He has no live interaction with Earth. The satellite enabling a live feed to Earth is broken and Sam has to make do with sending and recording messages to his wife. During his last two weeks, he begins to start hallucinating. He begins to get sick. After an accident occurs, he wakes up in the station's infirmary, with a short-term memory loss. While trying to repair the damage he caused during his accident, he finds something. He finds a person. This person is no one other than himself. We (the audience) are supposed to think that one of the Sams is just another hallucination. As the story unfolds, we see that the Sam injured in the mining accident is just as real as the Sam who found him. They are both clones of the real Sam Bell, who died 12 years earlier. His wife, Tess, died at some point during that time as well. Both Sams are hit with the shock that they will never see their wife again. They are merely being used; there are thousands of clones of Sam Bell, all programmed to complete the task of sustaining Earth.
My reaction to this movie was pure depression. The yearning Sam has for his family is thoroughly well acted and genuine. What I cannot but help but relate with is the same yearning I will have for Leslie during my basic training/SOI and the yearning I will have for my family if I ever have to see combat. I cannot but imagine realizing that I would have no one to go back to. That the whole time I waited in vain. I know that Leslie will wait for me. I have no doubts of that. Its just, wow, what a depressing thing to think about. What a depressing movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment